Sunday, September 22, 2013

Miniature Photography Made Easy

Since I've been blogging and taking some pictures of my work to put up on www.coolminiornot.com, I thought I would go through the basics I use for taking photos.  There are really just 4 basic things you need;

--White Towel
--Tripod
--Light source
--Digital Camera with macro function

There are some other things to consider, such as where are you taking pictures.  I take all my pictures on my kitchen table because there is a really nice light fixture above the table that gives decent light to begin with.  I like to use the natural daylight type lightbulbs in my house, and I find that helps a lot when taking pictures in general, regardless of what you are taking a picture of.

Here is the picture of my setup
 
As you can see it's not too complicated.  I have a small chunk of 2x4 that I use to elevate the model, but really anything would work, this is just to bring it more eye level with the camera, otherwise you end up with some funny angled shots.  The block of wood also helps bring the model out away from the background some so that there aren't shadows directly behind the model.
 
I also set the timer for taking the picture and use the macro function (the little flower) or the super macro function.  The time helps because I can push the button and step back from the table so there isn't any human wiggling or bluriness.  The macro function is just designed for taking pictures of small things up close without losing the definition.  Here is what a shot looks like from the current setup:
 
I then use photoshop to crop and edit the photos so that they are a bit more presentable.  This clears out some of the white space and makes it a bit more appealing to view the model.
 
I hope this helps anyone who is working on showing off their work online.  I still use my cell phone for a lot of pictures because it's quick and easy, but if you are wanting to show off the detail of a model, it's worth the extra effort to set up something to give yourself a better quality picture.  Be warned though, if you start zooming in on your own paint jobs, you will start noticing imperfections and problems.  It's up to you if you want to fix them.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment