Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Dwarfs Emerge from hiding!

Since I have arrived in the Sacramento area, I've been fortunate enough to find a few games against some great opponents for Warhammer Fantasy.  I've slowly started to learn the 8th edition rules, and while I still don't like some of the changes, the fact that I'm having a great time playing again is making it a lot more tolerable.  Since I'm playing again, I've broken out my nearly-dried-out paints and have started putting some work into painting some neglected units. 

I've come to the conclusion that in this edition of WHFB, the dwarfs aren't going to survive in the unit blocks of 15 models anymore, it doesn't provide enough wounds to really be effective in close combat, especially against some of the hordes that I will be facing.  So I've decided to bulk up some of my favorite units to 20 models each, which includes hammerers, ironbreakers, longbeards, and warriors.  I'm considering getting some more thunderers in the future as well to have a bit more shooting offense. 

Along with all the changes to units comes some painting.  And an important factor to also consider is that troopers can no longer take great weapons in addition to hand weapon and shield.  I'm not finding this objectionable, rather, I've got all my dwarfs (aside from the hammerers) modeled with only hand weapon and shield, so I needed a unit of warriors at least with great weapons.  I'll eventually model up some longbeards with great weapons, but first I've got a batch of 16 warriors with command that I've got on the painting block.
Since on a dwarf you are going to be painting a lot of metal between the weapon and the chainmail, I start with a heavy drybrush of boltgun metal, followed by some black ink, then highlighted with a lighter drybrush of mithril silver (I'll try and convert over to the new paint names eventually).  The finished result is a clean looking armor that won't be hidden by the other paint or aspects of the model.

I was also able to start putting a base coat on the skin areas, which will be followed by a chesnut ink wash and a lighter flesh tone highlight. 

1 comment:

  1. Looking good. I hope they also have a last will and testament modeled on them. I wouldn't want their families to be left bereft their final wishes before I chase them down on their stubby little legs. ;-)

    ~Calvin

    ReplyDelete